Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wiki's

All of my learning 2.0 things are out of order! The reason is because for the longest time, I couldn't log in to Blogger. So I would post on Blackboard and know that eventually, I would have to come and repost here. Just so that it is known, I have done many of these 2.0 activities when they were assigned but am posting on them now. Oops.

At first, I didn't understand the concept of a Wiki. I didn't like that you could spend all this time creating a post and someone could just come along and edit it. Now that we have conducted our own class Wiki on references, I understand that there is a common Wiki etiquette that is followed. Even within our own class site, I didn't dare to edit anyone's work out of respect for what they had posted. Now I see the usefulness and how many different ways Wiki's can be used instructionally. Many people complained about the class Wiki assignment- indicating that it was too hard to format, etc. I disagree. I thought it was pretty easy if you created in Word first and then copied it in. Also it was so easy to add a hyperlink! I felt like a genius for being able to figure it out myself.

After visiting the suggested sites on 2.o, I liked the Best Practices for Librarians Wiki and the Book Lovers Wiki could have been much better if more people would post to it. A couple of ideas that I had were to create a Book Lovers Wiki for your school library. The librarian could introduce the technology to a particular class and each student would be required to post a book review. I also think it would be a great instructional tool to have a Wiki for class homework questions. Students could post a question and anyone in the class could respond who knew the answer. That might take some maintenance though because it could fill up quickly but would allow parents who had questions to log on to discuss. I'm glad we had this introduction to Wiki's because I can certainly see ways that it will be useful to me as a librarian or teacher in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment